Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I just had my first interview in New York! It's for the Michael Chekov Theater Company at the 45th Street theater. They're a small off off broadway theater, and I'm up for an asm/sm position for A Midsummer Night's Dream and Love's Labours Lost.

I was panicking this morning. I wasn't sure if I had the right location for the interview, and was prepared to wander about in circles. It didn't help that it's snow/rain and slushy and icy as hell. This was also my first time taking the subway all by my lonesome.

But no fear, I took a xanax, put on some music and headed out on my merry way (almost sliding right off the sidewalk in the process). I got there a bit early, which was good because I of course got lost. That is until I realized that Hair is playing right down the street from their theatre.

So I made my way upstairs, where the Artistic Director and another Director were working on casting for Midsummer. The girl came in and we went on back and began the interview. It was only supposed to be 10 minutes and lo and behold, 45 minutes later she ran out to get the Artistic Director to come and meet with me.

Turns out, he's from the Bay Area as well. In fact, he dated the Saratoga High School principal's daughter back in the sixties. We chatted and he said that I was "very Northern California" and I said that I took that as a compliment.

Then I waltzed out of that place, on a high and hoping that I got the internship (it's only an internship because they can't pay and realized that they desperately need an ASM or a stage manager).

So here's hoping! I have another interview for the Summer Shakespeare festival, that I would die to get. Actually, I would die to get both of these internships. But who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment