Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Callbacks were last night. I got to the theatre at 4 and it was dead silent. I thought "Oh, well. This will be boring like the other day."
I was wrong. So incredibly wrong. Another SM turned AD was there and as soon as I walked in was all "you can't wear shoes."
... I can't wear shoes? Turns out, they had just repainted the floor, so I wasn't allowed to wear shoes until the very first person arrived. Considering I was bounding about in Valentine's Day striped socks, it made the rest of my black on black ensemble a bit more lively.
Grabbed my shoes when the first person arrived and slipped them on and by the time I looked up, there were about 20 people just chilling there in front of me.

Good thing I had made those extra copies of the schedule. And good thing I had already printed out a sign in sheet. Not a good thing that nobody told me there would be two other auditions happening, so that I ended up the only stage manager directing about 50 people in a small hallway. Considering most of them are actors either auditioning for or in the company, they knew each other, so I had to stand on the middle staircase and stare down at them to get their attention.

So those first 45 minutes were hell, but then I figured out a system and was able to make it proceed relatively smoothly. That is, until we fell behind schedule (callbacks ALWAYS fall behind, it's inherent to the system) and I found out that there was to be a Reading directly following. With 4 people still to be seen, we ushered them back into the dressing room and had their auditions in rapidfire succession of one another. Meanwhile people are starting to enter for the Reading, I'm trying to get people's conflicts (and 4 people leave without contacting with me, so who knows what's up with them).

And then, we finish. And the Reading starts. So we sat in the hallway and drank the wine that was left over from the mingling the actors/writer/audience did prior to the show.

The Stage Manager said I was remarkably on top of it all, and that I have the makings of a good Stage Manager. That was promising. I also admitted that before every rehearsal or audition that I'm involved with, I have a panic attack or feel amazingly nervous. It usually wanes a bit halfway through the rehearsal process, then picks up again when the show starts to come together. She told me that's normal, most directors, except for the narcissistic asses feel that way, but it's what gets you to prepare emotionally and physically for the process.

I think it was a good choice to work this as my first show. Hopefully, it will run smoothly, and I'll meet people. But if not, at least it's another thing to add to my resume and contact book.

And now, I'm going to get some coffee, go and write, then hopefully see the 8 pm showing of Hair tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment