Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I was asked this question at a comm that I mod for, and liked my response, so I'm copying it over here.

Q: So when I see grad school, I got curious and saw that you're applying for CW and Playwriting. How's that process going for you? Any tips on actually getting started?
A: For the most part it's like any other grad school application: usually 2 or 3 recs, GRE's (not all schools require them, though, only about half of my schools did), transcripts, a 500-1000 word personal statement and the application form itself.

I have found that you need to use your personal statement as an extra writing sample.
then there's the "official" writing sample. Depending on what you want to do, it's anywhere from 20-50 pages for a short story or a full-length play (about 100 pages). I'm currently on the second draft of the play I will be using for my grad school application (I have one acts, monologues and scenes, but until now haven't had a full length). I also have 2 short stories that I can use for CW, depending on how conservative or "experimental" the program is.

I think the most helpful thing is to have a time schedule, look at programs that are cross genre (if you want to have more than just one writing style to work with), and look at the professors. Really, you're using the program as a set time to write and build your portfolio while also making connections. I want to work in theatre in a technical form, so most of the schools I have looked at are in New York or San Diego. I work best under pressure, but I still should have started earlier on all of this stuff. I personally think the rec letters are the most stressful part, but that's just because I'm leaving it up to other people to get stuff done. The GRE's aren't horrible, I didn't take a class, just used a book and reviewed. I'm applying to 12 programs, which is more than usually (it seems the average is 8 or 9), but I think that also has to do with the fact that I'm applying to a few different programs within the same school.

this website is amazingly helpful.

Also, grad school websites are a pain and a half to navigate. Take that into account when you're looking at schools, especially if one school's website strikes a particular chord (positive or negative). Also look at funding, some programs have amazing funding plans and others have absolutely nonexistant funding plans.

That's pretty much everything I can think of right now (which is alot, lol)
If you have any other questions, just let me know!

Q:Thanks so much! Just as one playwriting applicant to another, do you have any productions on your resume?.. I've found few theatres willing to look at anything without an MFA stamped on it.

A:Yeah, I've encountered the whole "show us your work, but btw that means you better also be Sondheim or Miller" idea. In terms of my own writing, I've only had it produced with school and had some readings since graduation. Granted, I have friends in all aspects of theatre who have run into that thought-process, not to mention the current state of the economy and a resistance to bringing in new people or use new work. It's what led several of us to form our own theatre company and put on our own work. Ultimately, so much of theatre is about making connections (and the MFA stamp of approval, whether it should be that way or not) along with talent and sheer determination, that a grad school in a location where you want to work and with professors that you want to work with seems to play such a great role.

This is just from talking with other people/my own experiences applying and most likely misplaced but determined positivity, so I could be off. But what can you do

The apps themselves aren't too bad, just difficult getting started and a bit time consuming. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment