Wednesday, December 23, 2009

People who spend all their time writing Indie lists should get a new hobby

Not too long ago there was "What your Favorite Author says About You"
(I'm a kid who doesn't fit in, but tries to...with bondage! I also own a cottage, am afraid to go skydiving and -newsflash!- I am evidently a man because making genderless statements is just too difficult)

Then came "What Your Favorite Indie Band Says About You" (I am a Frequent Transcendental Experience Haver, who has considered either becoming or befriending a squirrel... I guess depending on what sort of transcendental experience I'm having.
Oh and that I'm a hipster.*)

And now there's "What Your Favorite Magazine Says About You." I guess this one can jump the confines of hipster listdom into all aspects of American society, except that it's a poorly executed list and doesn't even take advantage of all the wonderful stereotypes that magazines like Nylon or McSweeney's (though that's a literary magazine, and no I'm not bitter because their asshole mailboy cut me off from an awesome internship with his biting wit and ability to hang.up.on.me.), or even The New Yorker. As for me, I read Nylon because I'm a cheap bitch who shamelessly steals her friend's copy right out of the mailbox. Felony? Yes. But in my defense, she's in another country, on another continent, so I might as well get a good run out of her poorly spent money. I also read National Geographic and The Smithsonian because I was raised in Silicon Valley and was taught that nothing in life is more interesting than creating a duplex lincoln log cabin with a kennel for several species of dog, and that compass reading should be considered an enjoyable pastime.

Tracing the evolution of these lists is sort of like tracing the Black Death from Eastern Mongolia to Scotland. Where will it strike next? Who knows! Gotta love a game of Chance!

Back when masks where worn in a completely serious and totally un-ironic fashion




*But upon admitting that one is a hipster, does one earn even more points for accepting (in an ironic fashion) that the rest of the world will shun them? I need to know this for when I move to Brooklyn and decide that flats and studio apartments be damned, I'm moving into a trailer. I would also like to take this moment in time to say that 99.9% of the Gawker staff are secret hipsters who should accept it and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment